Have you ever reflected back on how you used to spend your time sometime back? I was wondering what I used to do with my time about a decade ago. Here is a list of 10 things I was or was not doing 10 years ago. So here re some musings on my time, a decade before!
10. I had already done my first trek to Sar Pass in 2002 and in 2003 we trekked in Har Ki Doon and Goa. Yes you read it right, Youth Hostel has a trekking program in Goa. So I had already started trekking 10 years before.
9. I submitted my Ph.D. in 2002 and it was awarded in 2003. In 2002 I started working and some of those first jobs were horrible.
8. Facebook was not there a decade ago! I joined Facebook in 2007. I was on Indiamike before I was on Facebook! I joined Indiamile in 2005. Twitter itself was not there nor was Indiblogger. With so few social networks I wonder what I used to do with all my time? I was never a big user of Orkut even though I joined the network.
7. I was heavily into sports all my college life, so when I started working in 2002 after my Ph.D. suddenly sports took a back seat. My weight started to go up. Before that I never had to watch what I ate! I could polish a whole packet of chips with cake and I would still not gain weight. Gone are those days …
6. I had already been abroad. By 2002 I had visited Singapore, Athens and Amsterdam. All were for stuff related to Ph.D. work. But I loved travel even then.
5. I was using the slow internet a decade ago. I actually have used the dumb terminals which used to run on Linux during my Ph.D. days. A lot of sites used to be text based anyways in those days!
4. I just bought my first cell phone in 2002 as Reliance made incoming free and gave you a handset if you went with them.
3. My naughty daughter was not yet in our lives. We adopted her in 2009.
2. I had no SLR then, not even a digital camera. I had a film point and shoot. But I still remember that I wanted my pictures to come out well. We bought our first digital camera in 2005.
1. I didn’t even have my darling blog a decade ago but it was close, I started blogging in June 2005.
And now that I am doing a post without pictures it means the war is on, I have to catch a flight tomorrow night and everything seems to be in disarray. But like every other time, I am sure things will fall in place. I have already got my clothes ironed, how much time will it take to stuff them in a suitcase? It is the documents required that scare me more.
What do you think? What are some of the changes in your life if you compare it 10 years before?
PS. that is me in Amsterdam!