I was looking for the resolutions I made in 2015 and then I found I made none! So the good news is that I don’t need to reevaluate how I fared! But I feel slightly puzzled, I thought I did put up some resolutions for 2015 too. That should give you a clue about me and resolutions? But here I go with new year resolutions the 2016 edition. And I am going to keep it very simple this year.
Health and Fitness
This one is pretty obvious, I believe. No health, no wealth, no fun! Being mindful about it is the best thing I can do in 2016.
Travel and Blogging
For someone like me this is also pretty obvious. Travel is that one thing, it is my thing. And if I am not bored of blogging after 10 years, I guess, that is my thing too. They go hand in hand.
I need to be more focused though. Earlier I had a full time job, blogging is work now. The good news, it doesn’t feel like work at all. The bad news, my job paid me much more than my blog. I hope I will find a way to balance the two in 2016.
I love nature. I am in love with the hills, I enjoy being on a beach. When I wrote a post on the world environment day, I said I would cut down on my use of bath tubs, which I did. I have started carrying an empty water bottle to the airports. Most airports have water fountains. Security has no problem with an empty water bottle. And I use less of bottled water. But I want to get more involved in 2016.
I guess in my entire life, having fun was never really high on my agenda. I have often said to my family members that but for my blog, I never really got out and had fun. I did a Ph.D., had a regular career, slogged like anything. All this while, at least for the last ten years, I was managing a blog side by side! And then surprised myself by quitting my job. Now that I have done it and I am not getting any younger, I say it is high time I start having some fun.
I hope in 2016 I will reevaluate my options, do I want to go back to work? But then I am going to take it really easy, I am in no hurry to entertain these thoughts, I have barely quit!
And Above All Eating More Desserts
For me food is synonymous with desserts. While I promise I would not go on a binge, I plan to eat more desserts in 2016 and feel less guilty about them.
But above all, I want to travel more in 2016! My we all travel more in the new year!
This is a first. In my 8 years of blogging I never did any New Year resolutions. I wonder why 2013 and 2014 feel a bit different. I have this urge of making a few new year resolutions and going public with them too!
5. Fitness or Bust: I used to be an athlete. I could run for 10 kilometers in the morning and then run some more in the evening. I represented my state in 800 m and high jump. I stayed in a sports hostel for a few months. From there to zilch has been a painful journey. I am living on borrowed fitness on my treks. I realized in 2012 when I did the Everest Base Camp Trek. I can still trek but it more due to determination than fitness. This should change, 2014 should be the year. Otherwise as my cousin on FB said- कसरत करते युग गया, तनिक घटा न पेट। असरत-कसरत छांड़ दे, खा-पी कर के लेट!
4. Sleep Deprivation: I am a night owl by inclination. It feels so right to stay up till 12-1 at night. The trouble is my waking up time is fixed, I have to go to work. More trouble is that these days I am staying up late more or less regular thing. It leaves me very tired. I hope I will be able to change this in 2014.
3. Better Pictures: I love taking pictures. I see a lot of things through my camera and not with my eyes first. If I do not get a picture, it feels no good seeing it just with my eyes. I know there are a lot of people who feel just the opposite. Feeling that way comes naturally to them. Feeling this way comes naturally to me! So it is obvious that I want to take better pictures in 2014.
2. Enjoying More on a Trip: I can be so obsessed with taking pictures that I forget to enjoy on a trip. I sulk and sulk if I do not get good pictures. While I do want to take good pictures, if due to some reason I cannot, it should be no reason to sulk on a trip! In fact enjoying should come first and pictures should come second but I am not sure if I can achieve that!
1. Becoming More Environmentally Conscious: I love nature, I love to travel. And yet beyond average day to day activities like not wasting water, avoiding plastics I do nothing, I know nothing about environmental issues. This should change.
Do you make new year resolutions? Do you review them say half way through?
I am Mridula Dwivedi, I love to travel! I started my travel blog in 2005. I have been going places since! For more details do check out my media kit! In another life I did a Ph.D. from IIT Kanpur. I was a professor when I quit my job in 2015.
As soon as I stepped inside the gates of the Westin Pusk...October 14, 2019
I have stayed at many Accor properties both in India and...August 23, 2019
I quit my job about 4 years ago, I was totally not plann...August 19, 2019
I recently visited Viayawada, Andhra Pradesh on an invit...July 27, 2019