I was looking for the resolutions I made in 2015 and then I found I made none! So the good news is that I don’t need to reevaluate how I fared! But I feel slightly puzzled, I thought I did put up some resolutions for 2015 too. That should give you a clue about me and resolutions? But here I go with new year resolutions the 2016 edition. And I am going to keep it very simple this year.
Health and Fitness
This one is pretty obvious, I believe. No health, no wealth, no fun! Being mindful about it is the best thing I can do in 2016.
Travel and Blogging
For someone like me this is also pretty obvious. Travel is that one thing, it is my thing. And if I am not bored of blogging after 10 years, I guess, that is my thing too. They go hand in hand.
I need to be more focused though. Earlier I had a full time job, blogging is work now. The good news, it doesn’t feel like work at all. The bad news, my job paid me much more than my blog. I hope I will find a way to balance the two in 2016.
I love nature. I am in love with the hills, I enjoy being on a beach. When I wrote a post on the world environment day, I said I would cut down on my use of bath tubs, which I did. I have started carrying an empty water bottle to the airports. Most airports have water fountains. Security has no problem with an empty water bottle. And I use less of bottled water. But I want to get more involved in 2016.
I guess in my entire life, having fun was never really high on my agenda. I have often said to my family members that but for my blog, I never really got out and had fun. I did a Ph.D., had a regular career, slogged like anything. All this while, at least for the last ten years, I was managing a blog side by side! And then surprised myself by quitting my job. Now that I have done it and I am not getting any younger, I say it is high time I start having some fun.
I hope in 2016 I will reevaluate my options, do I want to go back to work? But then I am going to take it really easy, I am in no hurry to entertain these thoughts, I have barely quit!
And Above All Eating More Desserts
For me food is synonymous with desserts. While I promise I would not go on a binge, I plan to eat more desserts in 2016 and feel less guilty about them.
But above all, I want to travel more in 2016! My we all travel more in the new year!
This is a first. In my 8 years of blogging I never did any New Year resolutions. I wonder why 2013 and 2014 feel a bit different. I have this urge of making a few new year resolutions and going public with them too!
5. Fitness or Bust: I used to be an athlete. I could run for 10 kilometers in the morning and then run some more in the evening. I represented my state in 800 m and high jump. I stayed in a sports hostel for a few months. From there to zilch has been a painful journey. I am living on borrowed fitness on my treks. I realized in 2012 when I did the Everest Base Camp Trek. I can still trek but it more due to determination than fitness. This should change, 2014 should be the year. Otherwise as my cousin on FB said- कसरत करते युग गया, तनिक घटा न पेट। असरत-कसरत छांड़ दे, खा-पी कर के लेट!
4. Sleep Deprivation: I am a night owl by inclination. It feels so right to stay up till 12-1 at night. The trouble is my waking up time is fixed, I have to go to work. More trouble is that these days I am staying up late more or less regular thing. It leaves me very tired. I hope I will be able to change this in 2014.
3. Better Pictures: I love taking pictures. I see a lot of things through my camera and not with my eyes first. If I do not get a picture, it feels no good seeing it just with my eyes. I know there are a lot of people who feel just the opposite. Feeling that way comes naturally to them. Feeling this way comes naturally to me! So it is obvious that I want to take better pictures in 2014.
2. Enjoying More on a Trip: I can be so obsessed with taking pictures that I forget to enjoy on a trip. I sulk and sulk if I do not get good pictures. While I do want to take good pictures, if due to some reason I cannot, it should be no reason to sulk on a trip! In fact enjoying should come first and pictures should come second but I am not sure if I can achieve that!
1. Becoming More Environmentally Conscious: I love nature, I love to travel. And yet beyond average day to day activities like not wasting water, avoiding plastics I do nothing, I know nothing about environmental issues. This should change.
Do you make new year resolutions? Do you review them say half way through?
I am Mridula Dwivedi, I love to travel! I started my travel blog in 2005. I have been going places since! For more details do check out my media kit! In another life I did a Ph.D. from IIT Kanpur. I was a professor when I quit my job in 2015.
I recently visited Viayawada, Andhra Pradesh on an invit...July 27, 2019
Chhavi and I spent eight nights at the Hotel Ilirija in ...July 23, 2019
1911, the fine dining restaurant of the Imperial Delhi i...July 16, 2019
Traveling with Chhavi is not new for me. But mixing tenn...July 6, 2019