I was lucky enough to get a copy of Recalcitrance by Anurag Kumar from him via Twitter. Whenever I have promised anyone to do a book review I freeze like anything. I am no reviewer or critic. So I decided to do a post where I share 10 things about the book.
I would just give you a short background. The book is set in Lucknow and the time period is the war of 1857. Now off to the 10 things I liked about the book.
10. There is a love story in it and it is subtle and well integrated. It does not feel like an add on to the main story.
9. The author knows his Lucknow well.
8. It is a short novel (by my standards, it is less than 200 pages) and yet the characters are not unidimensional.
7. The pace of the book is excellent.
6. It is not preachy in spite of its subject matter.
5. The narration moves from one story to another quite well.
4. The ‘heroes’ of the book are human and not super heroes.
3. The feel of the era is invoked well (or so it seems to me, I mean I have not seen that era only read about it).
2. The description of the city made feel as if I was time traveling through Lucknow, some of the spots are known to me.
1. There is hope in it, I cannot take books that end up without a shred of hope for the main characters.