I had a very interesting conversation with Preethi Venugopal of Tulips and Me. It basically was about I should talk more about myself! I think I do reveal enough about me through my blogs but not so much by doing posts on it. So here is an attempt to talk about me! OK 10 things about me. And I will try to keep travel out of it.
10. I completed my Ph.D. in 2003. I am that old! I have a day job as an academician.
9. A lifetime ago I represented my state (UP) both in Athletics and Table Tennis. Till my Ph.D. I was a regular on a basketball or badminton court. In my last job as well, I would play TT at work and beat my male colleagues most of the times. None of my female colleagues used to play. Some of my colleagues read my blog and they don’t like being reminded of it!
8. I am an introvert when it comes to face to face conversations, I am the wall paper in a party.
7. My students consider me strict, I demand a lot of work from them! Yet many add me on Facebook.
6. I am not brand conscious and I will blame my father for it. He uses such a tiny cell phone even now, how can I buy an Apple or a Samsung?
5. I don’t have a single lipstick, I would hardly know how to apply it.
4. My husband and I met in college. He treks more than me, it is just that he is not a blogger. He is right now out trekking and I am the single parent.
3. My sister and I talk daily on phone! My husband and brother-in-law both find it difficult to understand why. It was my sister and brother-in-law who got me into blogging.
2. Photography, travel and blogging grew on me slowly but they are now an integral part of who I am. Sometimes they start challenging my professional identity as an academician. सीधे शब्दों में (In straight words) I have thought many times about quitting my job but I have never been able to do it.
1. The best decision in our lives has been to adopt our daughter Chhavi. We adopted her in 2009.
40 thoughts on “About Me?”
Interesting…Loved all the 10 intriguing answers which left me more curious…
Glad to know you… Thanks for the mention.
I was a champ in sports during college n school days..badminton was my craze..but these days the only sport is running behind my 5 year old to prevent mishaps..:)
Thanks for asking Preethi. And I guess running behind 5 year olds is one of the most enjoyable sports 😀
It’s heartening to know more about you! It’s good to have people around you who encourage you to take the path that is meant for you – like the way your sis and bro-in-law steered you towards blogging. Great going!
Yes Renuka, all the credit for my blogging goes to them.
Good to know a bit more about you. Sports sure helps in making one fit for life and adopt a healthy lifestyle…
I do find it a bit amusing the lipstick part….as I don’t know anybody who does not uses it..now a days even little girls put it..wait till little Chhavi discovers them… 🙂
Prasad, you know at least one person now 😀
You are a superstar! this is such a lovely post! you represented your state in sports and yet managed to complete your phd – that’s remarkable!
enjoyed reading this post! and loved the humorous touch it had!
Thank you Debajyoti. I guess sports took a back seat (at least competitions) later in my life. Travel is a way to fill that void probably.
Lovely to learn so much about you, Mridula!
I found some points common too 🙂
Am trying to complete my PhD though! 🙂
Anita good luck with your PhD.
Mridula ji, Great to read
Thank you Rupam.
(Actually, that was my whole comment – but your blog host tells me that its too short, and that I should try to write more – so here goes)
That one word encapsulates more than I could said in a whole paragraph.
I’m not much of a writer, as you would have noticed.
Thank you Harsh. Sorry it must be some auto wordpress setting.
You are so simple! There is a proverb in Kannada, ‘A filled pot doesn’t make sound’. This suits you from all the angles 🙂
I feel I find myself more closer to you after reading this 🙂 I speak less when I meet people/struggle to find topics and hesitate to meet loud people; not at all a party person; I have used nail paint only thrice as I remember, just to learn how to 🙂 But, I am very very bad in sports 😀
And, please make this post as a separate page, your readers/future readers need to know these facts about you 🙂
Thank you Sindhu, you are so kind 😀
Proud of you Mridula, for being a talented sports person 🙂
Thank you Sindhu, though sports have vanished from my life now. 🙁
It was so nice to learn more about you Mridula, High five on point no 5! Glad your bro in law and sis introduced you to blogging as I soo love your blog 🙂 Hugs!
Thank you Pallavi and hugs to you too!
Hummm…. You have forgotten to add you were a topper in academics too! A
Ph D from IIT – K.
Saab ancient history hai! 😀
The only thing I knew about you Ma’am was that you actually got me blogging (rather writing, clicking and sharing). As one the first to comment on my nondescript digital identity, it was a real encouragement.
Tarun you still remember that? 😀 Bhul jaao aab.
If a person like travel & writing the most and have money to travel or can earn via travel blogging it is good to travel & write full time.
As a reader of your travel blog I want to know:
Any difference in travel & writings and photographs if you quit your job?
Tushar, I would have more time, I could accept more trips, heck I could go and pitch a few tourism boards. 😀
Very interesting to know so much about you. you are almost like a superwoman to me now 😀 I wish I could some day be able to do even half of what you are doing now 🙂 Good luck on your journeys and looking forward to read so much more from your future treks and tours 🙂
Thank you Aditi, now let me go and see where did I exaggerate, so that I sound like a superwomen! 😀
Hmmm.. to ityne dino ke baad bohut kuch pata chal gaya 🙂
Jahid, kisi ne pucha hi nahin tha pehle! 😀
Well,I look up to you and I wish I get at least half the energy you have at this age.So wonderful to know you.I never used to use lipstick but now I have started using it(although nude/or light pink color) because of my fashion blog n learning to groom myself more. TT Champ you are,wow! And gud to hear about your husband lucky you are to be with someone who is as adventurous as you are 🙂
Thank you Anki. Why don’t you do a similar post?
Interesting. I am very glad to know more about you. You are very inspiring. I enjoyed reading this post! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thank you Deepa.
Nice to know about you… Mridula… just outta curiosity…is your area of expertise(PhD) was life sicences?
No Shazi, I am an economics/management person.
So nice to know so much about you mridula. The lipstick story. ..I was forced to buy one for my wedding and I still have it. Don’t these things have an expiry date? Have no idea. 🙂 have been trained now by my.sis in law to use eye liner and new lipstick :p so nice to know all this about you.
Good to know that you are in the same boat about the lipstick, well almost the same boat 😀
Mridula – I have always loved coming to blog, for it takes me to a different place everytime .. But this one is even more special since I get to know you more and kudos to you for adopting a child .. giving her a family, a life with parents, someone she can fall back on .. A Big Salute for adopting a girl child .. Lots of love to you and Chhavi …
Thank you so much Sangeeta. 😀