Travel Will Set You Free?

By Mridula on June 19, 2014
in Canon D550, Musing, Photography, Travel

You must have heard this one- travel will set you free. My sincere feeling is that this was written before jet planes were invented or by a person who never had to travel economy! Sit in a plane that takes off at some obscene hour in a cramped seat to arrive at the other side of the world and do immigration, and then tell me that travel sets you free! If you ask me more often than not it leaves me let lagged!

It was also not written by a vegetarian who had the nerves to dream of traveling the world! When you have to use all kind of tricks to procure one meal without any kind of meat or a fish sauce, it doesn’t give you a feeling of being set free.

Close to something like this would come the advice, do more of what you wish to do, follow your heart, yeah and then they went ahead and invented alarms, even put it in my cell phone! And if I followed my heart and listened to my inner voice there would be a small mayhem in the neighborhood!

travel will set you free

How About Wifi Will Set You Free?

It is actually Wifi that sets you and I free, so that we can upload pictures of all the cool places we were at! And then wait to see how many likes or RTs it got! No? On another note if you didn’t get the wifi have you ever noticed the depressing number of emails that accumulate? That alone is capable of wiping out a lot of joy that I got from my vacation.

Don’t get me wrong, I will not trade travel for many things. Heck, I am not even good at explaining what it does for me so that I am not willing to trade it for many things but I would not stand for travel setting me free arguments. Free from what and free for what?

I also have no quarrel if travel indeed set you free, it just didn’t make me free and so many others (3 actually when I counted last) who replied to my tweets! By the way did it set you free of the free wifi?

And wait till I talk about the other one- are you a traveler or a tourist? That one sets my teeth on the edge even further.

14 thoughts on “Travel Will Set You Free?

1. Girija

I can’t agree more with you. I just now got connected on network as here wifi is not working in this hotel. Your post is a voice of what I was thinking in my frustration not to be able to connect to the world :-)

2. sindhoooo

I have been always wondering if your adventures won’t tire you! We get to see some of the beautiful captures by you after taking lots of pain, for free! We also get all your advices along with the enjoyable posts written by you! So, your travel tales set us free, free of cost for sure :)

Regards,
    Sindhu
    Tantu
    The Arts & Me

3. Maniparna Sengupta Majumder

Yes yes ..I agree..not getting the Wi-fi is injurious to health.. :-(
    travelling , in my case , makes me happy…to explore new things , to meet new people …I love it… it doesn’t set me free..it makes me feel more attached to this world… :-)

4. Tushar

I like travel because at the end of the day I am tired but happy that the day was full of learning on-field and this I like the most about travel.

5. Rachel of Hippie in Heels

travel sets you free when you’re a millionaire on a beach ;) i haven’t gotten that far. the traveler / tourist debate is the LAMEST thing bloggers argue about. The fact they care so much means they probably aren’t even being in the moment on their travels.

6. Kalpanaa

Ha ha ha Mridula! Love your rant about the less pleasant aspects of travel – the jet lag, the cramped seats, the lack of vegetarian food, the emails accumulating at an alarming pace. But, but, but – to not travel? To only view other people’s photos on the internet? Nooooooooo way, I could never do that – I would simply die of envy.

7. Veena Sreekant

Travel is more than seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living …Travel certainly sets me free and get attached to the world of my liking !!!
    Great Post :)

8. Manpreet Kaur

Wow! That was something too real and I seriously don’t want that in my life. I want to travel and set myself free..
    But how about a road trip? Isn’t that a good idea? :P