It is not that I seek out to travel solo but solo trips just happen. Like first I thought I was going to Bhutan with my younger nephew but that didn’t happen. In the end the first trip of 2014 was to Kutch, my personal vacation and solo. I will recount conversations that happened because of traveling solo.
1. Somewhere in Kutch
Taxi Driver to me: It is all very nice but Ma’am you should have come with your family …
Me: Yes I know but …
2. At Narayan Sarovar
Man: Are you a journalist?
Me: No I am not.
Man: With that camera I thought you were!
3. A young Air-force boy in the the same coach of the train while traveling from Ahmebdabad to Bhuj
Boy: Ma’am where are you from?
Boy: Well you must be working there cause I can recognize a Haryanvi when I see one.
4. Taxi Driver to me at after coming back from the BSF Check Post
The officer was asking if you are a foreigner! I told him she is traveling alone but she is from Delhi and speaks Hindi.
5. At Great Rann of Kutch
Woman: Are you a scientist?
Woman: Well you are sitting on the ground and clicking pictures so I thought you must be conducting research.
So much so for trying for another angle for a photograph!
6. Me taking pictures at the Great Rann of Kutch
A stranger: Ma’am which country you are from?
Me: मैं भारत से हूँ और हिन्दी में बोलते हैं. (I am from India and I speak in Hindi).
7. Again at the great Rann of Kutch two boys come to me and ask
Boys: Can we take your camera and pose with it?
Me: Yes and if you wish you can take pictures with it.
Boys: No ma’am we are happy posing.
8. Again At Great Rann of Kutch
Girl: Are you a professional photographer?
Me: No I like clicking pictures but I am not a professional.
Girl: Points to the tripod and says- well with all this I thought you must be but you say you are not!
9. At the White Rann Camp Tents, Gorevali Village at Breakfast I got chatting with another woman
Me: Sometimes it is good to travel solo
Woman: Yes you will enjoy particularly if you are a loner!
Me: Scratching my head and thinking if I am a loner, I guess I am a bit of.
10. And for a change me to a boy at Great Rann of Kutch, he was the quietest boy around, was on cell phone for a while before, I guess with his girlftriend.
Me: Will you click a picture for mine.
I give him my cell phone and stand.
Boy: आप बहुत tension में लग रहे हो (you look so tense)
I burst out laughing!
People were a bit curious about me traveling solo but it was mostly fun. I never once was hassled.
When I saw Mari Mari Cultural Village on my Sabah itinera...August 19, 2015
The day we were supposed to go to Sapi Island it rained i...August 18, 2015
It was the winter of 2014. The month was January and I wa...August 12, 2015
After watching movies all night on the Singapore Airlines...August 11, 2015