How Does a Typical Home Stay at Spiti (Himachal Pradesh, India) Look Like?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgeVFNPsT2g]

This video has the partial answer. How I wish I had moved the camera gently and not with the jerky movements that will probably give you a headache. The video was taken at Langza, our first day at the Spiti trek. The first room where there are a lot of people is typical of a living room/dining area and the second room is where we would sleep. Usually, all the rooms would have a view. I would often be glued to one of the windows with a book in hand.

PS. Not writing about day 2 as could not find time. I wonder what I do with my days!

15 thoughts on “How Does a Typical Home Stay at Spiti (Himachal Pradesh, India) Look Like?

1. neelam

i was looking for how to reach spiti,and found your blog at google. my daughter is pursuing msc environment science and has applied for an internship at ecosphere.being a mother i am quite worried about sending her as she will not have any of her classmates with her. i’ll be very thankful to you if you could clear some doubts-in spiti are any medical facilities available- is it safe if she stays there alone or whatever arrangement she is provided with- i think we will take a air root upto kulu or manali- and then by road, it will reduce the risk of falling ill, as she is very frail and cold-sensitive. if we acompany her to spiti and leave her there with ecosphere will it be alright. please try to help ,i’m counting on your advice.

1. Mridula Post author

Hi Neelam, I consider Spiti as one of the safest places in India. About altitude and all, one will adjust eventually and the air is so clear that she will probably become healthier! But then you can see I am a fan of the region.

2. eSutras

Greetings!Thank you so very much for your lovely lovely blog……. My husband and I are traveling to India at the end of June and look forward to visiting Himachal – the very first time. We have contacted ecosphere – thanks to your blog.Many blessings,A’isha

3. Mridula

Deepak, thanks. Yes, it is like a paying guest scene, but you pay all the money to the NGO Ecosphere rather than directly to the people. They give you a place to stay in their homes and provide all your meals plus numerous cups of tea and chang the local beer.Wanderer thanks for your comments. And I loved staying in homes this time instead of a tent.Maverick, in many places there are no hotels and yes it is great to stay at the homes. Some of the monasteries have guest houses where one can stay.Max, thanks a lot for your comments. And you travel so much.Anita, I am sure you would love the trek, just take care to acclimatize. Thanks Pooja. Pijush, I would say head there once!

4. Pijush

Wonderful and Exotic, I wish I could have been there to enjoy the real homely atmosphere of Himachal. Xelent Video, keep posting.

5. Pooja Aggarwal

I have been reading all your accounts on Spiti…but some problem with my browser settings and I was not able to leave comments.Nothing different though – as always the pictures are wonderful and stories entertaining.

6. anita

looks like an interesting place! i’m hoping to do the spiti-lahaul trek sometime too myself so will follow your account of the trip :)

7. Priyank

Nice video. How much do they charge per day, or was it part of your package? Any rough estimate??Your video had the audio and video, but I could even smell the place… hehehe :)

8. Mridula

Hi Varun, thanks a lot for your comment. I have seen both Himvani and myHimachal to be quite concrned about Himachal Pradesh.We in general love going to the hills and it is a coincidence that past so many have been to Himachal. I love Himachal (the quieter places more) no doubt.We prefer not to book to many things in advance but we had booked the Spiti Home Stay trek with Ecosphere before hand. Apart from that no bus tickets or hotels were booked in advance. Once again, thanks a lot for all the good work at Himvani and your interest in my blog.

9. Varun Singh

How I wish I could have been there. Thank you for promoting travel and tourism in Himachal. Do you take some organised tours or just go on your ownwith warm regardsVarun